Discharge Instructions after Total Elbow Arthroplasty
The discharge instructions after Total Elbow Arthroplasty:
- A sling may be provided for you. You may use the sling for your protection in a crowded area.
- A splint may also be on your arm, do not remove it or get it wet
- Use Ice intermittently over the first 2 weeks after surgery
- Pain medicine has been prescribed for you.
- Use your medicine liberally over the first few days, and then you can begin to taper your use. You may take Extra Strength Tylenol or Tylenol only in place of the pain pills.
- Leave the dressing in place until your follow-up appointment
- You may shower after surgery. The dressing CANNOT get wet during your shower. Wrap the dressing with a dry towel and place your arm in a large trash bag.
- Take one aspirin a day for 2 weeks after surgery, unless you have an aspirin sensitivity/ allergy or asthma.
- You are not permitted any repetitive lifting over 5lbs and no weight bearing with the operative arm.
Please call 216-844-0209 for any problems.
Including the following:
- excessive redness of the Incisions
- drainage for more than 4 days
- fever of more than 101.5 F
Please call 216-844-0209 to make a follow-up appointment if one has not already been made. You should see the doctor 10-14 days after your surgery.
UH Ahuja Office
3999 Richmond Road
UH Mayfield Village Health Center
730 SOM Center Rd
Mayfield Village, OH 44143
UH Westlake Office
960 Clague Road
UH Cleveland Medical Center
11100 Euclid Avenue
UH Suburban Health Center
1611 South Green Road
South Euclid, OH