Discharge Instructions after Arthroscopic Elbow Surgery
The discharge instructions after Arthroscopic Elbow Surgery:
- A sling has been provided for you. You may remove the sling after 72 hours. The sling may be worn for your protection (crowded public areas, etc.).
- Use ice on the elbow intermittently over the first 48 hours after surgery.
- Pain medicine has been prescribed for you.
- Use your medicine liberally over the first 48 hours, and then you can begin to taper your use. You may take Extra Strength Tylenol or Tylenol only in place of the pain pills.
- You may remove your dressing after 2 days. If the incision sites are still moist, place a Band-Aid over the moist site(s). Change Band-Aids daily until dry.
- You may shower 4 days after surgery. The incisions CANNOT get wet prior to 5 days. Simply allow the water to wash over the site and then pat dry. Do not rub the incisions. Make sure your axilla (armpit) is completely dry after showering.
- Take one aspirin a day (81 mg) for 2 weeks after surgery, unless you have an aspirin sensitivity/ allergy or asthma.
- You may move your elbow and use your hand for light activities of daily living. You should not do any heavy lifting or repetitive activities.
Please call 216-844-0209 for any problems.
Including the following:
- excessive redness of the Incisions
- drainage for more than 4 days
- fever of more than 101.5 F
Please call 216-844-0209 to make a follow-up appointment if one has not already been made. You should see the doctor 7-10 days after your surgery.
UH Ahuja Office
3999 Richmond Road
UH Mayfield Village Health Center
730 SOM Center Rd
Mayfield Village, OH 44143
UH Westlake Office
960 Clague Road
UH Cleveland Medical Center
11100 Euclid Avenue
UH Suburban Health Center
1611 South Green Road
South Euclid, OH