Discharge Instructions after Open Elbow Surgery
The discharge instructions after Open Elbow Surgery:
- A sling may be provided for you. If so, remain in your sling at all times. This includes sleeping in the sling.
- A Splint may also be provided. Please do not remove until seen by Dr Gillespie
- Use ice on the elbow intermittently over the first 48 hours after surgery.
- Pain medicine has been prescribed for you.
- Use your medicine liberally over the first 48 hours, and then you can begin to taper your use. You may take Extra Strength Tylenol or Tylenol only in place of the pain pills.
- Leave the dressing in place until your follow-up appointment
- You may shower after surgery. The dressing CANNOT get wet during your shower. Wrap the dressing with a dry towel and place your arm in a large trash bag.
- Take one aspirin a day (81 mg) for 2 weeks after surgery, unless you have an aspirin sensitivity/ allergy or asthma.
- You may receive Indocin (Indomethacin) to take after surgery. If so, take as per the prescription. You MUST take this medication on a full stomach. If you begin to experience stomach pain, discontinue the Indocin. Otherwise, continue to take it regardless of how your elbow feels. While taking Indocin DO NOT take ANY nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory pain medications: Advil, Motrin, Ibuprofen, Aleve, Naproxen, or Naprosyn.
Please call 216-844-0209 for any problems.
Including the following:
- excessive redness of the Incisions
- drainage for more than 4 days
- fever of more than 101.5 F
Please call 216-844-0209 to make a follow-up appointment if one has not already been made. You should see the doctor 10-14 days after your surgery.
UH Ahuja Office
3999 Richmond Road
UH Mayfield Village Health Center
730 SOM Center Rd
Mayfield Village, OH 44143
UH Westlake Office
960 Clague Road
UH Cleveland Medical Center
11100 Euclid Avenue
UH Suburban Health Center
1611 South Green Road
South Euclid, OH